Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, October 9, 2009

How to pray

I decided to start my scripture studies from the book "Preach My Gospel". The first thing I highlighted in this book was the statement that an "Effective daily study must always begin with prayer" (pg.17). Well, I think generally people know how to pray, but many years ago I as an investigator receiving missionary lessons, I came to learn of a structure of prayer. I learned to kneel, fold my arms, bow my head, close my eyes, then begin by addressing Heavenly Father "Our Father in Heaven, ...". After which, give thanks, make requests/ask questions, then close "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen". Doing this at least in the beginning and at the end of the day. Through the years I've learned further principles found in "Gospel Topics: Prayer" such as pray with meaning by praying with sincerity, real intent, and avoiding vain repetitions. Moreover, using language that shows love and respect like thee, thou, thy, and thine to address God to bring about closeness. Also, to seek guidance and strength and remembering needs of others. Likewise, when making requests we must do all we can to assist in its being granted, eg. if you request to find a job, you must do leg work to try to find one! In sum, prayer is a communication with our Heavenly Father through Jesus Christ. Our prayers should be heartfelt and actively awaiting for His reply.

Preach My Gospel, pg 39
Prayer:
*Address "Our Father in Heaven, ..."
*Express the feelings of your heart (gratitude, questions, requests)
*Close "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates