Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Brief reviews

With much to juggle lately, I've been depending on audio for my readings.  So here's a few that I went through.

Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts, AF, 2010, Playaway digital audio,  9hrs, rating=2
read:  11/09/10

My bad, I didn't read the first two installments so I just didn't connect with the characters here. As a stand alone, I wasn't intrigued. ~Next time I should read the fine print that says something like, "book three in blah blah series".  :)

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan, YA, 2009, Playaway digital audio, 9.5hrs, rating=2
read:  11/07/10

Another Halloween read.  This was just okay.  I'm not a big fan of zombies or the unconsecrated as the book terms them.  I'm glad I didn't listen to this during the night or I might have had nightmares!  I scare easily but listening to this choppily for over a week, I think I missed the scary feel or the love.

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events #1) by Lemony Snicket, YR, 2001, c1999, audio CD, 3.5hrs, rating=2.5
read:  11/10/10

See-sawed between 2 stars and 3 stars.  It was dark for a children's book yet it had a weird appeal.  I like the innocent thinkings of the Baudelaire children ...their resourcefulness, their resilience in bouncing back from each "unfortunate event"...basically their demeanor.  Therefore I didn't like the 'child abuse' but cheered their cleverness.

It seems like in regards to badness... the phrase, when it rains it pours would apply here... yet I keep thinking, then that will end in sunshine and rainbows.  There are 12 more books to this series.  That's a pretty long down pour of unfortunate events before the sunshine ... if it even ends with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates