Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bone: Out from Boneville

by Jeff Smith, Bone #1, YR, 2005/1992, 144p, rating=3

"After being run out of Boneville, the three Bone cousins, Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone, are separated and lost in a vast uncharted desert.

One by one, they find their way into a deep, forested valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creatures..."  (Goodreads)

I've been signing off my son's daily home reading and I kept seeing Bone on the title list.  I figured I ought to check out what it's all about.  Well, I can see the  interest with this graphic novel. 

This took me back to my first introduction to comic books.  As far back as when I was somewhere between 5-7yrs old.  I recall our maid in the Philippines (don't ask me how we could afford a maid, I guess we weren't as poor as I thought!) reading a romance version.  I recall voluptuous women, handsome men, and lots of drama.  I liked it!  But it wasn't for my age so she didn't read it to me that much.  Anyway, later in the years the usual superhero leaflet comic books were available but they never really got into my poor hands. However it hovered enough for me to see that Wonder Woman was my favorite! :)

Sorry, I got a bit nostalgic there.  Anyway, this installment explored the adventure of going out in the unknown ... woods.  A culture shock for cartoon characters.  So you'll see humans and creatures making its way to hinder or aid Fone find his cousins (they got split up).  Of course, there must be obstacles to conquer first.  By book's end, the three Bone cousins were reunited with a cliffhanger to boot!  I actually want to see what happens next .. but no rush.

Quick read, funny, and alluring storyline (not necessarily a great story).  The artwork was good, though a bit too much skin showing/implied ..particularly from Thorn's (female) off the shoulder garb and off the screen bathing.  Might be subtle enough to get the wrong impression or stir.  Overall, it was entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. You are fabulous! :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates